Monday, February 11, 2013

For the Love of a Simple Life

It's crazy how the first step of a daunting task sometimes gives you great clarity.

As I began my first run in training for the Utah Valley Marathon, this morning,
my mind was very far from the pounding of my feet.

In one of my favorite movies, You've Got Mail, Kathleen Kelly writes:

Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life - well, valuable, but small - and sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it, or because I haven't been brave?

I have a friend who is always traveling some place or another, seeing this and that, and always having crazy adventures.

I feel as if my life is somewhere in between. My life isn't small but nor is it one string of adventures after another.
My life is simple. Wonderful and simple with bouts of adventurism.


I don't have a million blog followers, but I have many incredibly wonderful friends.
I haven't been on a mission to convert hundreds of people, but I try to magnify my calling and make a difference in my sphere of influence.
I am no sports hero, but I love to run and love the challenge that it presents.
I haven't traveled the whole world, but what I've seen has taught me a great deal about how blessed I am.
I don't have millions of dollars, but I am self sufficient and hard working.
I have very little claim to fame, but I have wonderful supporters and rocks in my life.
My life is by no means perfect, but it's perfect for me. Simple and wonderful.

Simplicity is perfect for me.
Whenever I complicate life and get frustrated, I miss out on the finer things of life--time with family, beautiful sunrises, reading a book, making a new friend, having a good hair day, singing along to a great song, beautiful sunny days, laughter with good friends or achieving a small goal.
And aren't those the things that make life beautiful?

Whatever kind of life you live, be sure that it is the life that you've always dreamed of.
There may be circumstances that you can't change, challenges that are difficult to overcome, but there are many things that you do have control over.
Enjoy the finer things of life. Simply the things that you can.
Have some crazy adventures. Be brave. But because you have the power, make it the very best.


7 comments:

  1. What a great way to remind us all to enjoy and cherish the simple things in life. I know I needed it. You're great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. I also love Kathleen Kelly and You've Got Mail. This was such a good reminder that simplicity is not the same as boring but is wonderful in its own right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything about this blog post, and about you my darling girl! You are such an amazing individual that I am so lucky to call my friend! Simplicity really is the ultimate sophistication (da Vinci really knew his stuff...). Hope I can see you very soon! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simple and beautiful! I agree. Nothing like loving the life you have been given with all its blessings and challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! Thank you for sharing. Life is so wonderful and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jena! I wish you much luck on your marathon training. Very thoughtful and wise post - I gotta remember to stop and smell those roses.

    ReplyDelete

Classy Comments: