Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Reason

I am a runner. I haven’t always been. In fact I used to hate running.
As I have gotten older and life has gotten more stressful, I have come to find an exquisite release that comes from running.
And only runners understand this.
 
Now, running is almost an addiction.
Yes, there are many days that are hard.
Yes, there are days when I have no motivation.
Yes, there are days when its extremely painful.
But every time I just make myself do it, I am surprised at how much better I feel.
Running is not for everyone. But running is most definitely for me.
I used to hate running. Running in competitions was not fun to me. For the first time in my life, last Saturday, I ran a race and it was fun!
Yes, there were points when it was hard.
Yes, there were times when I wanted to give up.
But just like in training, I simply made myself do it and the accomplishment I felt afterward was incredible. It still is!
I understand that finding the motivation to do something hard can be extremely difficult at times.
But life is not measured by what we start, but by what we finish.

Find something that you have always thought was impossible. Set the goal to accomplish it. Set small goals working toward the big goal. You won’t regret it. I promise. What is there to regret about trying hard, getting a few skinned knees, but coming out victorious?
(Make sure your sound is turned up. This is one of the most motivation things I have ever seen.)


My goal is to run a marathon.
Someday I want to be in the league of marathoners.
For now I’m setting the smaller goals. I will continue to training for and run half marathons and triathlons.
"People say that we're searching for the meaning of life. I don't think that's it at all. I think that what we're seeking is an experience of being alive, so that our life experiences on the purely physical plane will have resonances within our own innermost beings and reality, so that we actually feel the rapture of being alive." Joseph Campbell, The Power of Moab
Feeling alive is really what life is all about. It’s not about winning the race, but the experience we have along the way.
That's the reason why.
The reason why I run.

3 comments:

Classy Comments: