Monday, March 7, 2011

A Leap of Faith

In exactly 2 months from today, I graduate! I can't believe it! So so crazy! I still don't know what I'm going to do, come May. I know I've said this before but I always knew that I wanted to go to college and get a degree, but I never planned for after that. Yet here I am--with the world at my feet and I have no idea which door to take! I have been praying like crazy and I have received little answers and course corrections here and there, but I still don't know where I want to go and what I want to do. I have been applying for a ton of jobs in Utah, but it finally dawned on me that I am never going to figure out which path is right for me, if I'm not testing all the options and doors. So, in this last week, I took a leap of faith.
I applied for a bunch of internships out of state! I know this probably doesn't sound like much of a leap, but it kinda scares me to death! I don't know if they'll even come through or not, but my determination and character are definitely being built!

I was flipping through the ensign yesterday during sacrament and I came across an amazing talk by Richard G. Scott. In it, he said,

"As you walk to the boundary of your understanding into the twilight of uncertainty, exercising faith, you will be led to find solutions you would not obtain otherwise. With even your strongest faith, God will not always reward you immediately according to your desires. Rather, God will respond with what in His eternal plan is best for you, when it will yield the greatest advantage. Be thankful that sometimes God lets you struggle for a long time before that answer comes. That causes your faith to increase and your character to grow."

This truly spoke to my heart. It was exactly what I needed to hear--reassurance that not knowing where to go, is ok. For now at least. It's really tough, but it is teaching me true faith in God's plan, in His timing, and in leaning on the Savior for support and comfort. I know God's has his guiding hand in our lives. He loves us. And he is there to catch us when we take that leap of faith.


I like to look at it like cliff jumping at Lake Powell. When you climb the rock and you're getting ready to jump, the water looks so far away and you are tempted to go a little lower. But you don't. You take the chance and run and leap, pushing hard off the rock. Your heart plummets when you realize how far you are falling, and you scream with anticipation, but the exhilaration of hitting the water with a big splash and then kicking to the surface, is incomparable. It is only then, that you turn around and look back up at the cliff you just plummeted off of, and realize, "Wow. That really wasn't that high! And boy, it was fun!" Everything turned out just fine!

I am excited for when that day comes that I can look back at this leap of faith and realize how much it changed me and helped me to grow. Even if, I get a great job in Utah that I love, I still took the chance to try all the doors. And that, in it of itself, is building faith.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Jena! You are amazing! I'm so proud of you for taking that leap of faith and trying out different options! It's so crazy how we have so much prep for college but there's really no prep for what to do after you graduate but I guess that's where your choice comes in! I love Elder Scott's quote! It's amazing! Sometimes God answers yes, sometimes no but then there are other times when you get no answer at all and that's ok because it shows God trusts you to choose the right thing and if for some reason it's the wrong choice, He'll warn ya so it'll all be ok :) Good luck in your quest for a new adventure! I know whatever you choose it'll be the best thing for ya!

    ReplyDelete

Classy Comments: